Adventures in Isahaya

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes" - Winnie the Pooh

自分の写真
名前:
場所: Burnt Hills, New York, United States

I'm a SAHM to a little girl born October 2003, a little boy born August 2006 and another little boy born January 2012.

日曜日, 2月 13, 2005

EZ Bake Oven and Valentine's Day

Ask anyone and they'll tell you that Valentine's Day is for baking, chocolate and booze. What's that? You thought it had to do with love, chocolate and flowers? Well, at least you got the chocolate right.

In Japan, Valentine's Day is for the men. It's a day for women to dote on their men. Yeah...all for the men. That explains the abundance of boxers and beer without a slinky nighty to be found. Wait a sec...that last one doesn't make sense at all! :) Anyway, I guess it also explains the proliferation of items used for baking available in the store. After all, a woman's place is in the kitchen, right? (Not to worry women-friends, March 14 is just around the corner - more on that when it nears.)

Anyway...I wanted to do my part and fully embrace the Japanese culture and traditions. This meant I needed to figure out my oven. Not wanting to ruin the item I got for Chrys, I decided I needed a test vehicle to make sure I knew how this thing worked. Luckily, Blue stepped in with the answer.

How on earth did a cartoon tell me what to bake? Well, Roo and I were watching one of her videos the other day and Spatula and Bowl wanted to make banana cake. The mom in me screams, "Watch, someday she's going to look at me and want to bake what Blue did. I gotta figure out if this recipe is any good." Voila! I decided to bake "banana cake" so I don't forget to do it and get in trouble later.

I baked banana cake. In my microwave. I mean, in my oven. Wait...I'm confused. Oh well. Chrys took pictures.

I baked banana cake. It tastes and looks a lot like banana bread. It's good. I have two loaves because I figured I was lucky to find a bread pan - I sure wasn't going to try to hold out for a big one. We have a loaf that's going to work with Chrys as a gift.

Tomorrow, I'll play with what I've learned to bake a treat for Chrys, in true Japanese style. This one's out of a box because I actually found Betty Crocker-esque things at the store. If it goes as well as the 'cake' did, I may bake more often. It will certainly open up my recipe box a bit more and that would be nice.