Adventures in Isahaya

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes" - Winnie the Pooh

自分の写真
名前:
場所: Burnt Hills, New York, United States

I'm a SAHM to a little girl born October 2003, a little boy born August 2006 and another little boy born January 2012.

金曜日, 12月 17, 2004

Sasebo

We've wandered up to Sasebo twice now. Neither time did we actually located 99 islands, which was the whole reason for our trip. Near as we can tell, we keep ending up too far south to find the islands. Not that there are many signs to help us. The only sign we've found is 17km from the islands and long before the hairy interchange with the Nagasaki Expressway (a toll road we are too cheap and too chicken to get on right now).

I want to go to 99 islands mainly because I've read that it's the richest pearl producing region in the country and dadgummit, I'm going home with a collection of Asiatic pearls if it kills me. Well, I'll likely stop short of death, but when Winklette tells me I need to bring home pearls, I'm going to listen. I have found pearls in various jewelry shops, but that whole 'too cheap' thing comes in to play. I'd love a strand of silver, burgundy or caramel pearls, but I'm not paying over 100,000¥ for it. Maybe that's the price I should be looking for, but I figure I have some time to really look around and make sure I'm not getting bent over. Sadly, I had hoped to send pearls to the women on my Christmas list this year, but it obviously didn't work out. Maybe next year, ladies.

We've found some interesting stuff, though. They have a Jusco, too. It's bigger and FAR more crowded and I'll stick with the one in Omura - thank you very much. Maybe it's because we were there in the middle of the day. Maybe it's because we were determined to finish our Christmas shopping in one fell swoop and not doing well. Maybe we just don't like crowds, despite our love of malling during the holidays. It was a mess...

They also have what I've read is the largest arcade (open air mall) in Japan. It stretches 7 blocks. It was great! There were the usual department stores, jewelry stands, 100¥ shops, farm stands, etc. There were also a toy shop packed full of great toys from TV shows and movies that are as old as we are and as new as my daughter. They had a garden area in a park in the middle with trees, plants and bonsai. There was even a Starbucks that yielded a white chocolate mocha that tasted just like they do at home. It was a great way to start the Christmas shopping season. Maybe we'll end up back there one day when we have less mission to get shopping and more time just to wander and enjoy.