Adventures in Isahaya

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes" - Winnie the Pooh

自分の写真
名前:
場所: Burnt Hills, New York, United States

I'm a SAHM to a little girl born October 2003, a little boy born August 2006 and another little boy born January 2012.

土曜日, 12月 11, 2004

Our microwave + oven

Where my washer and dryer are a little on the pitiful side, my microwave is this weird freak of nature. It's not over powered...I think the instructions said 500W. It's not just a microwave, though.

When I had my first sushi night (I can say first, because I've had it twice now...wooohooo!), Owl got a tempura variety box. He was trying to figure out how to reheat it and I pulled out the microwave instructions. Turns out there's a setting for reheating fried food so I told him to try that out.

It says it's automatic so he hit the button and start and it gave him a 12 minute estimate. "12 minutes?!?!?!", he rants. I remind him of our sensor reheat thing on the microwave at home where it says it will take forever and then stops and starts at the end when it estimates wrong and starts to get the food 'too hot'.

Well, this thing acts like a microwave for a bit and then turns off the typical microwave whine and keeps the turntable going. Owl looks inside and says that it's glowing. Thinking he's nuts, I wander over and peek inside and, sure enough, there's something glowing on the top.

End result, after the full 12 minutes, is fried food from the microwave that's actually still nice and crispy.

We've deduced that it really does have a heating element, much like a toaster oven. Near as we can tell, on some settings (like toast, which will toast a piece of bread...on one side), it warms up with the microwave and then keeps the heating element on like an oven. Neat way to preheat. I've seen a few at the electronics store where the door actually appears to be hinged in two directions so you can open it however it's most convenient for the way you're using it. Craziness!

Maybe when we get back after Christmas, I'll be bold enough to try baking something in it - something VERY small...it's not a big microwave + oven thing. Goodness knows we could use some lasagne or something once in a while.