Adventures in Isahaya

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes" - Winnie the Pooh

自分の写真
名前:
場所: Burnt Hills, New York, United States

I'm a SAHM to a little girl born October 2003, a little boy born August 2006 and another little boy born January 2012.

水曜日, 12月 15, 2004

Oy vey (or "How I really feel about being here")

So last night I was talking to a friend online and he (jokingly) asked who [Chrys] was. I told him that last I knew he was the man I married and the reason I was stuck in Japan. He latched on to the stuck and must have missed the part about me only feeling that way sometimes and how most days were good. Fast forward to Chrys' manager deciding to chat and make sure we were ok and I was sufficiently embarrassed.

Honestly, no matter where I am, I have those days where I feel stuck. Especially when every day is about the same. I don't like routine that much. I am definitely a person that likes to live by the moment, but have something routine to fall back on. That's not easy. It leaves me with the 'stuck' feeling sometimes when I am in or establishing the routine so I can take the time for the adventures and not have everything fall apart.

I try very hard to look at this as an adventure. That said, I don't expect an adventure every day. Most days, my expectations are beaten and something mundane turns out complicated and, thus, something of an adventure. When you're in a strange place, almost anything can be an adventure. Most anything is new and different. It's kind of nice. I don't expect that trend to continue as I figure more and more things out. Someday, it won't be hard to find ingredients in the grocery store or a place to park. Someday, I might even be able to figure out what floor something is on without having to wander the whole place.

Now, it does get old not being able to speak the language or read 99% of the signs. I'd love to know what the cashier at the store is saying to me. Simple stuff, really. Chrys is working on this. There is money for Japanese classes for the two of us in the budget. Unfortunately, we can't both take the same class because someone has to watch Roo. Plus, the classes have to be pretty nearby since we have only one car. We have a lead on a private tutor and we're just trying to get that approved.

Despite that, we have determined to make the best of the situation. We have talked and all agree that we probably won't come back to Japan once our stint is up. It's a nice place. Hopefully we can see what we want to see and not need/want to come back. We are pretty private people and don't make friends quickly, especially when we can't talk to them so that won't be an issue. Heck, we've already gotten so much more than most people. Many of our friends envy us. However, we want to go other places. All the more reason to take advantage of being here on someone else's nickel and enjoy, but we're not going to put down roots.

It's temporary. We're a little stuck, but it won't last and we certainly don't let it keep us down. No worries.