Adventures in Isahaya

"You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes" - Winnie the Pooh

自分の写真
名前:
場所: Burnt Hills, New York, United States

I'm a SAHM to a little girl born October 2003, a little boy born August 2006 and another little boy born January 2012.

火曜日, 11月 02, 2004

Cleaning

I found that Japan has heard of the swiffer (or whatever that word is on the package that's not green so probably not really a Swiffer). Even better, they've got a 3-D one. My biggest complaint against Swiffers lately have been that they do nothing but push stuff into the grout on my tile. Well, I'm buying a few packs of the Japanese ones to take home and praying that they work on my Swiffer. Theirs has these little feelers that get down into grooves and grout and get the extra dirt. It's pretty cool. (As a side note, I had forgotten how nasty the pad got the first time you ever used one in a house - BLECH!) The other bonus is that it actually has a long handle so I need only use the short (REALLY short) broom for the big stuff that the swiffer doesn't actually catch. My back likes this aspect. They also have the little bottle and jet attachment so I don't have to remember how to do mop water after 4 or so years of not using it. Plus, I don't have the long dry time for a water wet mopped floor that I imagine would be a nightmare with a toddler.

Having found this, though, I really feel for my little vaccuum. It's got 3 (I think) suction strengths or speeds...I can't really tell, but I guess they go hand-in-hand. Any of them seems to get the obvious junk off my floor which I guess is all I can really ask for. The nice feature is that Roo isn't terrified of it like she is my big Eureka back home. In fact, she likes the chase the itty little canister, which I find rather amusing, but can't be good for my vaccuum's ego.

I next need to figure out what 'toilet wipes' look like in Japan. I got very addicted to those for wiping down the bottom of the seat and bowl. I also need to find a cheap toothbrush so I can work on the mildew that grows all to easily in my shower. Thankfully the previous occupants left a bottle labelled 'For mildew' so I have that, but it doesn't seem to take care of the entire problem though the bleach probably keeps it from growing further. (Side note...I NEVER would have figured out mildew cleaner. There's no picture...how do they expect me to function without a picture of it killing the mildew to identify it?!) Can you tell I'm not a sponge kind of girl? Except for my dishes...great for the dishes...

My other major task has been laundry. I think I've almost figured out the capacity of my little machine and determined that I will have to do one load per weekday to get through everything. I have a good number of things with which to hang stuff - a variety of clips for the poles and various hanging mechanisms to save on space. Owl and I are even perfecting getting stuff out on the line efficiently so it can have a prayer of drying. I'm only down one sock so far - too bad it was one of my new cozy ones (first new socks in 5 or 10 years...that'll teach me)! Hopefully, the rental company was able to match the washer for a dryer - it mounts on top of the washer to save space - to at least get the clothes on their way to dry (and wrinkle free which is the only thing left that has REALLY been bothering me).